Friday, November 30, 2012

Muffin Mishaps


It was one of those mornings. You know the kind. The one where everything goes wrong. The hubs and I slept in, which means I had to bust booty to fix his breakfast and lunch before he rushed out the door. I hadn't cleaned the kitchen the night before, so all food prep had to be worked around dirty dishes and cluttered counter tops. By the time I got him on his way to work, fully belly and lunch in hand, I thought the best way to unwind after this morning of stress would be a delicious, hot buttered muffin with rich coffee and cream. 

So I embarked on my very first Trim Healthy baking attempt, Easy Peazy Cinnamon Muffins, p. 262 THM, with its inclusion of the "weird" ingredient, golden flax meal. I'll be honest, flax meal smells quite a bit different that the whole wheat flour I am used to baking with, so I really had to put my faith in Pearl's story on page 263 about how even her children gobbled these up.

But nothing can go right in a dirty kitchen...

First I measured 1 1/4 C of water into my eggs, when the recipe only calls for 3/4 C (remember, I'm still flustered from the morning rush). Not being one to waste good eggs, and determined to press on with my muffins, I poured out 1 C of the liquid from the egg/water mixture and moved forward. After combining all the ingredients, the mixture was thick and weird. But I had already used 6 eggs, a good amount of my precious Truvia reserve, and the last of my cinnamon. There was no starting over! I had to at least try baking them. So I threw them in the oven and crossed my fingers.

Unfortunately, the night before I had made Baked Chicken Thighs, p. 322 THM. Delicious! But my oven was still set to broil, so after about 15 minutes of baking, I smelled something burning. Yep, the tops of my muffins were crispy.



At this point, under different circumstances, I would have thrown in the towel and those babies would be in the trash. But there was no way I was chucking 6 eggs, 4T Truvia, 3 T coconut oil and the last of my cinnamon! Not on your life! I continued to *bake* them and when I pulled them out of the oven and removed the burnt tops, what do you know? I had something edible!

So they were a bit dense, but overall, a pretty tasty little muffin mishap. Perfectly excellent with my coffee (to FINALLY clear my head) and a bowl of 0% Greek yogurt. Perhaps it was a little too tasty.


I ate two with reckless abandon, and my two hungry little boys each ate three! I say "reckless abandon" because somewhere in the book, I remembered a warning that golden flax meal affects everyone differently. And boy did my children and I feel the burn. My oldest son, Joel, and I spent the entire day cracking each other up with noises and rumblings from the nether regions. We were no worse for the wear however, and I enjoyed that 4-year-old boy's giggles all day long, toot after toot. I am confident that these will become common breakfast fare at our house, but we may have a 1 muffin limit until our bodies grow accustomed to the flax!

Has anyone else experienced crazy kitchen mishaps with all the new recipes we've been trying these days?

3 comments:

  1. Haha. I had the exact same reaction to flaxmeal after trying the golden flat bread recipe - I was so hungry and ate nearly the whole loaf! Lucky I was home alone that day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try the muffins. I tried the golden flat bread recipe and unfortunately did not like it at all - hopefully the muffins are better.
    Renae

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. I laughed so hard on the last paragraph that my husband came in wanting to know what was so funny. I too have had some interesting adventures with some of the recipes. I have eaten or drunk whatever because there was no way I was going to waste the ingredients. Heather Wilson

    ReplyDelete